Don’t let the stress get to you - make sure you have a PLAN.
Celebrating the New Year often means a great time; you start to look for that perfect dress, find a date for That night, you go to the gym an extra time, and let’s not forget all the lists we make.
I feel like my list writing-skills have not been more perfect then after all the Christmas gifts lists, food shopping and To-Do lists before the holidays. The lists just keep coming. And then we have the final list, The New Year’s list, the big commitment for the upcoming year.
It is amazing that you now have 365 new days to complete or do something. Yet, I find myself always stressing at the last days to do them. Last year I had a goal of learning how to do a handstand, not that hard to accomplish but still, I was trying really hard the very last day, New Year’s Eve.
I know that many of you have finished school this past June and maybe worked to save some hard-earned money. So, time to spend the. I would strongly recommend you to go as an au pair in the beginning of the year. Why?
Top 5 reasons for early birds:
1. Could there be any colder and darker place than the Nordic countries during winter? No! If that is not good enough of a reason to go in the beginning of the year, please keep reading to point nr 2.
2. Your friends are just recovering from a Christmas/New Years of eating/drinking too much and what do they all do, sign up for the local gym and start the tough road ahead until light comes back. Yes, depressing, I know, keep reading to 3.
3. The summer is known to be the most intense time for au pairs, you often have the children all day when they are out of school. It can therefore be great to bond with them before that time is coming. If you go in the beginning of the year, you have more time to bond with the family and children.
4. As an au pair you have the chance to see what an American college is like. If you arrive early you get more options when it comes to picking classes and finding the best schools.
5. Last but not least, there are less au pairs that are able to travel in Jan, Feb, March (due to being in high school) so you have more families to match with and that will make you stand out in the matching pool.
I hope this list makes your choice easier, after all, that is why we are making these lists, right?
Very best and happy holiday!