Friday, April 25, 2014

Adapting to the culture

Hi all,

As an au pair you are going to experience a whole new environment and culture when you move to the United States. Everything in there is done a bit differently than you are used to do in your home country and in the beginning you might want to question certain things – why do they do things like that? Why can’t they do it like I do it in my home country? Those questions are part of the adapting process when moving to a new culture, and believe me – soon you will feel more comfortable in your new surroundings and start to think why I ever did things so differently in my own country.
I have been moving several times to a new culture within past few years, the latest one was just four months ago when I moved to Stockholm to start working here at the Cultural Care Au Pair Stockholm office for the Scandinavian au pair team. I have also been living in Germany and in Dubai and I have seen very radical differences compared to Finnish culture. As I come from Finland I thought “Sweden is not going to be so different, it’s just the neighbor country of Finland”. But as soon as I moved here, Stockholm, I realized that even here some things are done differently than in Finland.

First weeks at the office were very exhausting for me. I learned many new things and new ways to work. Even the fact that I had to learn how do I get to work and where can I find the closest grocery story to me made me tired. After work when I got home I was always very tired and usually went to sleep straight after eating the dinner. As an au pair your first weeks will be full of learning new things and it’s no wonder if you are super tired after your work shift is over. You might think before you move to another culture that you can’t get tired just because of learning new things but believe me – you can, and it’s totally fine. My tip for all the new au pairs is to give 100 % focus on the new things you will have to learn in your host family, new culture and surroundings and after you have done that: eat, sleep and collect some energy for the next day!
I wish all of you a nice and relaxing weekend, I hope the weather is spoiling you and you will get a lot of energy for the next week!

Sunny wishes from Stockholm,
Jenni