Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Give and take!



We asked some of current and past au pairs what the au pair-program gave for them and what kind of thoughts they have - do you agree? What did the program give you? Please share your own experiences and stories - we love to hear them and of course the others as well!

“Working as an au pair has totally opened up my eyes. When you live back at home and are only surrounded by people from your own country you necessarily do not understand how many different cultures and people there are around you. I have become much more open for new things and I understand so much more of the world. I am also braver and more confident and of course my English skills have improved so much! I would suggest traveling as an au pair for anyone who is ready to take onto new challenges and who have the inner urge to work abroad. Working as an au pair is a great way to get to work abroad. If you are ready to take a step to the unknown, traveling as an au pair is a great opportunity!" -Meri, au pair in Texas

”My time as an au pair has changed me a lot. I have become stronger, more independent and more open as a person. I have learned a lot about life and people. I have also gotten a better view of the person that I want to become. I am so proud of everything I have achieved during my time.

I recommend traveling as an au pair for everyone who is ready to spend time abroad working with children, and also for everyone who wants to take some time to find themselves and figure out their plans for the future. This is a great opportunity to improve your English and learn really to speak it. You get to see so much of the new culture and meet new and great people. I have also gotten a great change to travel and see a lot of USA. The most important qualities of au pair-job is getting along with children, the will to learn to know a new culture and also to accept all the differences between the culture in the USA and with your own.” -Riina, au pair in New Jersey


”I can honestly say that my life totally changed during my time as an au pair. I grew a lot personally and I learned so much about myself and the people around me – also a lot that I would not have learned back home. I am much more confident and I believe in myself and I know what I want from life. And most importantly – I got a new family in the USA and a lot of great friends that I will never forget.” -Jennica, au pair in Minnesota

"My host family and I have a great relationship. They have included me in everything since the day I came here and I'm really thankful for how they made me become a part of their family. I really couln't have found a better family to spend this year with. We are so much alike but we can also learn from our differences. It's hard coming from another country with another culture and then just live with a new family that doesn't work the same as your own in your home country. My host family have made this so much easier than it could have been. They are amazing people and I'm sure that they will stay in my life, as they will in my heart, forever." - Rebecca, au pair in Washington D.C.

 

 
Want to read more experiences from the au pairs from your country? Check our website: