Monday, August 11, 2014

Few words about homesickness!

We have talked about homesickness that our au pairs experience in the blog before as well, but we also believe that it is a very important subject to bring it up every now and then. We have au pairs traveling to the USA every week, and homesickness is something that everyone will face sooner or later - here are few words of the topic from Martina.

 
Homesickness. It’s something everyone will experience, whether you like it or not. Some experience it more than other, but trust me everybody will get homesickness at some point.
 
Something I remember from my time in the USA was that I had homesickness. I didn’t really want to admit it to myself, because I had a wonderful time in the USA, but even though I did not want to go home, I still really really missed it.  I remember one night, everything was sort of a routine, it was raining, I didn’t have too much to do, and it was my brother's birthday. For me it was kind of a hard day. I seriously considered staying home and sitting in the closet all day eating chocolate…. I knew I couldn’t do that, but the thought had crossed my mind.  So I kept going, I kept fighting and believe it or not I made it through that day.

Today, when I reflect on the homesickness I had,  I realize that it’s all aboutthe though: just keep going. There will be ups and downs, no matter if you like it or not. What I tell my au pairs today is that it’s important to just accept the situation. It's ok to be sad for a while.  I suggest to keep busy, make plans, have wonderful things to look forward to, because believe it or not things will get easier.

So when you are in the USA, promise me that if you have homesickness, let yourself  feel sad , but only for a little while. Make sure you communicate with your friends and host family so they know why you are sad.  Some of your friends might even be in the same situation as you are. Let them help you, let us, the Cultural Care Au Pair staff help you. Make plans, and be proud of yourself that you are in the USA, and don’t miss the chance to enjoy it. It will get better, and speaking from my own experience, when you get over the homesickness, time goes by so quickly. And before you know it you will have homesickness, longing to go back to the USA!
Enjoy your time as an au pair!