Host
families are as unique and different as we au pairs are. When I applied to be
an au pair many moons ago, I had decided I would live with a typical American
family. In my mind such a family consisted of two parents, 2-3 children, a dog
and a pool. I had pictured myself living in NYC and to be honest I thought
things would be like in the movies. Oh boy, did things turn out differently. I
was matched with the Brown family and when I saw they were from a tiny town in
Georgia, far away from everything, I was worried not to say the least. I
actually called the Cultural Care Au Pair office to ask if they could release my match.
What happened next I am eternally grateful for. She told me to talk to the
family first and then decide whether to turn them down. My host mom e-mailed me
explaining about their lives and daily routines. We would be moving from
Georgia to Arlington in Virginia as she had a major career change. We decided
to talk on the phone and the moment after the phone call I just knew this was
going to be my new family. We kept in touch for weeks before my arrival and she
even sent me pictures and guidebooks for Washington DC, my soon to be new home.
Furthermore,
my host family was everything but typical. But then again what really is
typical in the USA? It is a melting pot full of different people from all over
the world. My host mom is a single mother by choice and her first son was
conceived through sperm donation. She has since had a second adorable boy, who was adopted. My time with them was
the most enriching and fun I could have had. Not only did I get to experience
two very different states but I became part of their family.
My
host mother is an U.S. Diplomat and
moves around the world. Sure, I do not have a “typical” second home in the US
anymore. However, home is not a place but people. I have gotten the opportunity
to spend valuable time with them exploring Iceland, Morocco and Oman and I know
I will visit them in many more places. This year we will meet in Hawaii and I
cannot wait!
A
tip from a former au pair to you future au pairs: remember to be open-minded
and set aside expectations and stereotypes. It really does not matter at all,
where you will live as long as you have a great host family, where you feel
comfortable and at home. I know I have found mine!