When I was 18 and had just finished
high school, I decided to take a gap year and work as an au pair in the USA. It
was a very sudden decision – but a decision that changed my life.
Not only did I have the time of my life, this
year taught me so many things and helped me develop as a person. First of all,
my year as an au pair helped me to improve my English! Today I study international
business at Copenhagen Business School where the level of English is very advanced.
Second, my time in the USA gave me so many memories and a great network! I have
kept in contact with most of the people I’ve met during my year and we still
have reunions. Thanks to my year abroad, I now know a lot of people around the
world and every time I travel to a new city I stay at my friends’ places.
Third,
My year as an au pair has taught me that you need to grab every opportunity you
have in life and then new doors will open. After having travelled to the USA all
by myself for such a long time, without knowing anyone, I now feel like there
is nothing I can’t do. After I got back from the USa, I moved to a new city
where I did not know anyone to begin with. But from my experience in America I
knew that it is only a matter of time before a new place feels like home – and
I was right. I am very grateful for this amazing opportunity the au pair
program has given me, and I am so happy that I grabbed the chance to move to
the US as an au pair, because it definitely changed by life!
- Nicoline
