I was an au pair in
Salt Lake City, Utah few years back. One of my favorite memories from my time
as an au pair was absolutely the holiday season and everything that was
happening around that time. My host mom’s favorite holiday actually was
Christmas and it was a really exciting to be part of the Christmas preparations
with her! In the USA they often start preparing and decorating right after
Thanksgiving- sometimes even well before that! We decorated the Christmas tree
on Thanksgiving, hanged up all the Christmas lights and started listening to
Christmas music well ahead of Christmas. One of my favorites about that
Christmas time (and to be honest, one of the parts that caused most stress) was
buying presents for everyone in the family. The happiness I got when seeing
everyone opening their presents and liking them was definitely worth all the
stress!
My Christmas as an au pair was very special to me in a many different ways. This was the first Christmas that I did not spend at home; it was the first Christmas that I spent far away from my own family and everything familiar to me. Christmas Eve felt more like a normal day – both of my host parents actually worked that day! The TV did not show the same Christmas programs and we did not eat the same food for Christmas dinner – back at home Santa Claus always pays a visit at the end of Christmas Eve, but this time I did not get to meet him! Even though there were a lot of traditions and things that I was used to missing from my first ever Christmas in the USA, I actually got to experience many new ones and learned a lot of new traditions. My American Christmas with my host family was and still is definitely one of my favorite Christmases ever! There was so much new I got to see and experience and also a lot that I took back home with me. This is one of my favorite things about going as an au pair – you give a lot, but you also will receive so much. You learn to appreciate things you have not appreciated before. You will open your eyes to new things and you will leave back home being more rich with everything you have experienced.
One of my favorite moments from my “Au pair-Christmas” was the morning of Christmas Day. Me and my host family had gathered around the Christmas tree in the crack of the dawn (or so it felt since the children got up as early as they could so that they could open the presents). We gathered around the tree to open the presents together and after that we ate Christmas breakfast together. My host family had even bought me some really nice presents and at that moment I really felt that I have two families – one back at home and one in the USA. That is the way I feel even after all of these years.
Hopefully all of you
will have a nice Christmas, happy Hanukkah or happy Holidays!My Christmas as an au pair was very special to me in a many different ways. This was the first Christmas that I did not spend at home; it was the first Christmas that I spent far away from my own family and everything familiar to me. Christmas Eve felt more like a normal day – both of my host parents actually worked that day! The TV did not show the same Christmas programs and we did not eat the same food for Christmas dinner – back at home Santa Claus always pays a visit at the end of Christmas Eve, but this time I did not get to meet him! Even though there were a lot of traditions and things that I was used to missing from my first ever Christmas in the USA, I actually got to experience many new ones and learned a lot of new traditions. My American Christmas with my host family was and still is definitely one of my favorite Christmases ever! There was so much new I got to see and experience and also a lot that I took back home with me. This is one of my favorite things about going as an au pair – you give a lot, but you also will receive so much. You learn to appreciate things you have not appreciated before. You will open your eyes to new things and you will leave back home being more rich with everything you have experienced.
One of my favorite moments from my “Au pair-Christmas” was the morning of Christmas Day. Me and my host family had gathered around the Christmas tree in the crack of the dawn (or so it felt since the children got up as early as they could so that they could open the presents). We gathered around the tree to open the presents together and after that we ate Christmas breakfast together. My host family had even bought me some really nice presents and at that moment I really felt that I have two families – one back at home and one in the USA. That is the way I feel even after all of these years.
Mari at Cultural Care
Au Pair
