When
February comes around in the USA it almost feels like stores and restaurants
ban all colors except red and pink. The grocery stores display candy in silky
papers and shiny heart-shaped balloons. Valentine’s Day can be the best day to
really get the courage to ask that special someone out. It could also feel like
the longest and most overrated commercialized holiday ever if you do not share the feeling of butterflies in your belly,
with all those happy in-love people.I didn’t
plan to stop communicating with my crush weeks before Valentine’s Day, but
that’s exactly what happened. I thought to myself: I am in the USA only ONE year and I’m going to miss experiencing this
day! Just my luck!
Driving in my
family’s blue Chevy Suburban that more resembled the size of a small villa by
Swedish standards, I dialed my best friend Eric’s number. I had met him through
mutual friends. Eric was tall and very American. We had spent a lot of time
together and we always had a great time. This day, he had also been stood up by
his crush, a girl I’m sure later came to regret that day many times.
I suggested
we would grab some food and make a picnic on blankets by the river. This was in
no terms a date to either of us but it was clear to all our friends that
something was changing. I think it was at that time my feelings about our
friendship took a turn into Lovevillage and I was lost.
You never
control who you fall in love with and I knew it was a bad idea to start
something that would never work since I had to go back to Sweden in 6 months.
Fast forward
and 3 months later and we were applying for his visa to move across the world
with me. I remember thinking that he would turn in the airplane door when he
sees all the snow and feels the cold. Really, who in their right mind would
trade the California sun for most-of-the-year-dark Sweden?
That’s
right, only someone in love! Now, 5 years later and we love our life together
in Sweden, but even if you haven’t found “the one” yet that doesn’t mean
Valentine’s Day is not worth celebrating. In fact, I hope my story encourages
you to take a chance this year.Even if you don’t have a date or find the love of your life, make sure you are seeing the love that comes in other forms, such as a host family that will forever be in your life, or the best friend that you found. You never would have met if it wasn’t for being an au pair.